(NOTE: This is an ORIGINAL BLOG HOP, not a BLOG TOUR. This is an entirely ORIGINAL post, not shared/third party material.)
“This blog hop is designed to show our readers a more personal side. We list seven interesting facts to help cast light onto that tough writer’s persona we all like to project.”
Rules: You post 7 (seven) facts about yourself and then links to 15 (fifteen) blogs (or as many as you can!) that you rate and recommend.
See Laurie Starkey’s blog for more info.
If your blog is tagged/recommended you don’t have to participate but it would be great if you do. The more the merrier!
Thanks to Helen Treharne for inviting me to join!
SEVEN FACTS ABOUT ME:
1. I finished my first novel at the age of fourteen and still have plans on getting the revised version published one day. It’s about a nineteen year old girl who’s next door neighbor turns out to be a vampire under a malevolent spell to kill her and rule the world. Yes, I love vampires!
2. I love to write to music. Usually I try to go for silence when working, but one day I put on a fast-paced CD called Smash The Control Machine by Otep and, before I knew it, I was writing sometimes as fast as she was singing/screaming/rapping. I put away a record of ten thousand words that night. I’ve never hit that high again!
I also get inspired by music in general. Sometimes its lyrics, but a lot of the time it’s the emotion in the singer’s voice that hits me. I wrote a make-up scene in an as-yet-unpublished romance novel based solely on the fact that the tone of a singer’s voice made me regretful and want to cry.
3. I love two things that surprise people: crime dramas and sports. Danny, the main character in my upcoming novel Stake-Out, was inspired by Elliot Stabler on Law and Order: SVU and Oscar Vega on Motive. My mom and I will sit down together abd watch NCIS marathons all the time.
I play almost every sport. I love to watch hockey and baseball (go Blackhawks and Cubs!) and there was a time when I toyed with becoming a professional soccer player. I also love to watch the WWE (I do consider pro wrestling a sport, though I know some don’t). An aside: my favorite wrestler is Dean Ambrose.
4. My favorite author is Stephen King. Sixty-eight books and counting and his talent hasn’t waned, in my opinion. He’s managed to give me goosebumps, nightmares, and made me care about people that aren’t even real. I aspire not just to frighten like him, but to create characters who are as real to the readers as his are.
5. When writing, I’ve been known to ignore everyone around me. I specifically remember a moment a few months ago when I was deep in the zone and, apparently, held an entire conversation with my mother without even remembering what was said!
There are times I’ll ignore all social media for weeks and have people asking me if I’m okay haha.
For me, writing is everything. It’s what I can do. It’s my only skill (along with reading, editing and watching TV, that is) and if I couldn’t write there’s a chance I’ll lose my mind.
6. A more personal thing about me that actually does have a little to do with my writing: I’m a chronic sufferer of depression, two types of anxiety, insomnia and PTSD. I was officially diagnosed at seventeen after being inside of a burnng room (my room; the house was on fire). I’ve wanted to die so many times, but I’m here. I’m here because I refuse to give up. If I do anything in my career, I hope I inspire others to keep pushing through whatever issues they have.
We are never given anything we can’t handle.
7. I’m an anime and paranormal lover! I watch Studio Ghibli films all the time, use a Dragon Ball Z purse, and have a tattoo for the TV show Supernatural (which was also made into an anime).
I’ve been obsessed with anime and ghosts my entire life (and have had quite a few paranormal experiences). My first novel (out May 19th, 2015 from Vamptasy Publishing) is paranormal crime, and I believe most of my work well center around the unusual. It’s just who I am.
GREAT BLOGS (also include the two I posted above):